If you know me at all you know how much of a news junkie I am. Which is how I came across this article in Newsweek. It was originally posted in April 2009, but I saw it tonight on MSN.
Let me preface this by saying as a born again Christian, I like to think I don't see skin color. Jesus didn't act any different towards people based on their skin so I try to lead a life that emulates that. But I'm not completely convinced that I do.
Recently at church there was a discussion forum for those interested in foster parenting and adoption. Because I hope to get married and raise biological and adopted children, I went to the meeting and the issue of race came up. Of the three families who interracially adopted or are seeking to adopt, my focus is one the one white family who adopted a little boy from Ethiopia. Although I didn't have the chance to ask them to further explain, one of the things the dad mentioned was their having to face prejudices they held when looking into adopting a child from Ethiopia. I don't know the specifics of what these prejudices were, but having had the chance to observe this family, they also have an older adopted son from Russia, I am without a doubt sure of their love and commitment to Christ and each other. I've had the opportunity to work in nursery with their younger son and to see their interactions and it's obvious to anyone that the love between parents and child is deep, very real, and very much mutual. This further supported my thought that love can transcend a multitude of differences, but it also brought to the fore various "questions and fears" of mine. Since that meeting, I've grown to see that these "questions and fears" are, surprisingly, prejudices I struggle with. And I will attempt to unpack them here...tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment