Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love; Here’s my heart, O take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.
Monday, January 2, 2012
Okay, so I know the picture is old. But it goes with my theme so bear with me.
I don't like resolutions. I don't like the temporal and expected feeling of inevitable failure. But I do like taking time to reflect on my past and my future. I want to look back and see my missteps and my successes and learn from them. I want to grow spiritually, relationally, professionally; and a good way of doing that is seeing where I didn't, where I could have and learning from that and making sure my future doesn't include those same mistakes. I also look to see where I did well and how I can build on those successes.
Now, don't get me wrong, in no way do I believe in allowing your past to dictate your future. There are too many stories of people overcoming their mistakes and then going on to be hugely successful to believe that. But a big part of their eventual success was knowing what didn't work and moving on from there...and you only know that by taking the time to examine those errors.
That said, instead of resolutions, I've decided to give this year action words of what I hope and desire 2012 will look like.
Involved: When I get overwhelmed, I tend to fall into an apathetic attitude about what I'm struggling with. I'm determined to remain involved in all areas of life...spiritually, financially, professionally, relationally. I'm not running from conflict anymore.
Active: When I fall in the aforementioned apathy, I lose the desire to be active. This year is the year of getting back to being outside, getting involved with sports again, and treating my body as I should.
Courageous: Because I'm so afraid of failing, I often don't take risks. It's a sad way to live life trying to always remain safe. I know God created me for a reason and that reason isn't to remain on the sidelines so this year I'm taking risks. I mean, my favorite scripture verse is Joshua 1:9, which says, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
And so I'm choosing to go be involved, active, and courageous this year. I'm going to be the new, bolder me in 2012!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment