I've often heard of guys saying they get snubbed by women while trying to do the gentlemanly thing. But I've never been witness to it. Until this week.
When you work at Duke, you have to park in one place and then take a bus to the hospital. And they charge monthly for parking miles from where I need to be! Anyway. I was on the bus and it was overcrowded as usual when several women got on at the last stop. After a couple of seconds the gentleman next to me stood up and offered his seat to one of the women standing. I thought it was an extremely nice thing to do considering I've only seen one person give their seat up and it was a woman standing so that a pregnant woman could sit. Anyway, home slice had the audacity to look him up and down, look at her friend as if she was annoyed he'd offered and said no. I was livid. The gentleman stood for the remainder of the ride leaving the seat open for her and she never took it.
I must confess that I don't know if they knew each other so maybe her response was because she knew that would lead to him asking her out again or they had a history and she was trying to not complicate things. I dunno. I also find those scenarios highly unlikely. I know I shouldn't speculate when I don't know the full story, but I was outraged to see her snub him the way she did. And was probably talking about not having a good man within hours of that ride. Okay, again, I probably shouldn't say that. I don't know either of them. But I do know women. And the look she gave her friend wasn't one of shocked appreciation, but one of indignation and outrage that he'd do something as backwoods as offer her his seat.
What has become of our society that women snub men for things like that? I'm not the type of women to stand at a door until a man opens it or runs to get the door for myself. I simply fully appreciate and thank the man who does. I love being treated like a lady. Sadly, I think women have worked so hard to be considered equals to men that they've lost the sense of what it means to be treated like a woman. And what burns me up even more is that we aren't equal to men anyway. Any poll or survey will tell you women still make less than men and to be a woman who makes more you have to be young and hot. I heard John Tesh (yes, I listen and enjoy "Intelligence for Your Life") say that the highest earning man is slightly overweight, in his 30's, married with a family. The highest earning female, still making less than the man, is size 4 to 6, young, dresses well, and wears heels. Um, what!?! So with these kind of odds stacked against women I can somewhat understand women's disdain for men...somewhat.
I still think she acted ugly towards the gentleman on the bus. I don't think women will be getting equal pay anytime soon. I hate that men are getting burned for treating women as women and are now starting to treat women as asexual beings who can do for themselves. And I really hate that those of us who appreciate a good man treating us like women are getting the shaft because other women only want independence and equality from men. And don't get me started on the proven and sad trend of dating and marriage for the college-educated black woman. It makes me sad to see how sin has changed our world and how far we are from what God's original plan was. May we turn back to the foundation of our creation and of this great country and seek God's face.
No comments:
Post a Comment