Friday, December 3, 2010

This is a post from this summer that I started and never finished.  It still holds true for me so I decided to go ahead and finish it up and post it...

I was born and raised in TX.  I consider and will always consider myself Texan.  I don't, however, consider Texas a Southern state.  There is much Southern influence, but we aren't Southern.  We're our own brand of Southern hospitality mixed in with some Wild West adventure and good ol' Texas kick ass attitude.  And even though I no longer live in TX, old Southern influenced habits die hard.  Specifically in reference to church, my first reaction is to dress up for church and never leave home without my Bible.

Which is why I've struggled with the new technology age I find myself apart of and what it means for the Body of Christ.

I attend the Saturday night services which is admittedly more relaxed than the traditional Sunday morning services-even at my laid back church.  However, I recently attended Sunday morning services and was brought up short by a random couple I saw heading to their seats.  They carried cups of coffee and keys.  Nothing else.

Where were their Bibles?  I was struck by the fact that they appeared comfortable in the church setting-they were not carrying the typical visitor gift bags and they walked right in to seats without seeking the direction of the greeters-so I assumed they were regulars.  And they didn't have Bibles.  My first thought was I Thes. 5:20-21 where Paul urges the Thessalonians to not scoff at prophecies, but to test everything that is said.  I've heard several pastors, including my own, say not to automatically believe everything he says, to verify, and know the Word for yourself.  It instantly made me sad for them, for me, for this culture that automatically accepts the words of others without question.  Is this the type of Christianity/church atmosphere my nephew and niece will grow up in?  A world of Christians simply waiting for the church to project Scripture onto a screen with no one seeking the truth for themselves?

I saw a guy the other night using his iPhone as a Bible.  I think it's great that people can easily access Scripture from wherever they are, but I remember easily accessing Scripture with the pocket Bible in my backpack.  Our lead pastor even made a joke about how he knew the people pulling out their phones were looking at the Bible and not texting.  It just makes me sad.  I know how my thoughts can run away with me, but in that moment I mourned the loss of simpler times...if growing up in the 80's can be considered simpler times.  I don't believe that not carrying a Bible to church makes one less of a Christian or less knowledgeable about the Bible, but I do know 10 years ago you'd be harder pressed to find those in church without their Bible than you would now.  What will the next 10 years look like?

It's not that I think going to church without a Bible is sinful.  It's what could grow out of this new freedom that worries me.  I can't and won't even begin question anothers relationship with Christ.  Heck, it's often the ones with the Bibles and in leadership who are the furthest from God.  But I worry that the Body is setting herself up for failure.  I did some searching on this and found that Bible sales in bookstores, Christian or otherwise, have decreased over the last couple of years.  But online Bible sales have gone up.  And this isn't just buying Bibles online, but buying online versions of the Bible.  The Bible has gone from a book to a PDF file on our computers.

I personally find great pleasure in sitting with my Bible and a cup of coffee or tea in my reading nook and learning more about Him.  I worry our desire for instant gratification in everything will and has caused us to squeeze Jesus into even more of a tiny drop of our lives.  If we can get our Jesus fix on the go, why get up earlier in the morning?  This isn't to say I don't try to squeeze Jesus into my life or that you'll always find me up at 5am reading my Bible.  More often than not, I fail at getting up early and reading my Bible.  Sometimes my time with Him is prayer while at work, listening to a sermon online or that I've downloaded to listen to while driving, or a worship CD on my way to work.  I know there are multitudes of ways to spend time with Him.  I just fear that the old tried and true way, reading the Bible, is disappearing.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think you are on to something here. While I will ocassionally listen to a sermon online or on my iPod and make liberal use of bible search engines to find quotes I only half remember, I too prefer the words on a page method of reading the bible. I don't think we have to require rigid adherence to that standard. I certainly don't think the words are more inspired when printed in ink rather than read off a Kindle. But there's not an app for spirtual groth. It is a discipline ( actually it's multiple disciplines) and discipleship is not outmoded by technological advancement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think of when we grew up as "simpler times." It seems over-dramatic, but SO much has changed in technology since then...it's really redefined life for our culture. I don't think there is a problem with being able to access Scripture from your iphone or computer. In fact, technology could help Scripture reach much further than it could before. But I think you're right, the practice of bringing and opening and reading our Bibles in church is becoming lost, and what does that mean for our personal discipline?

    @ Brent - "Spiritual growth. There's not an app for that."

    ReplyDelete