He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. ~Jim Elliot
I quite often question if I lead the type of lifestyle that Jim Elliot speaks of. When considering this, one of the first things that comes to mind is money. And regardless when I ask the question or how I answer it, the subject always come up again every year toward the end of January...when I get a "giving" statement from church listing my financial contributions throughout the year. And I'm never really sure what to do with it. It's not that I don't appreciate that someone took the time to note my contributions because I do. I know it must take hours upon hours every week to record all that information on each parishoner. I just wonder as to the purpose of it.
I must admit to being somewhat ignorant when it comes to taxes. I do know enough to file my own, but I also ususally send the paperwork to my dad to double check it for me. That being said, I don't really understand "claiming" charitable donations. It doesn't seem very charitable to me if you give something only to later announce to the IRS that you gave and you want credit for it. But again, I don't fully understand what it means to claim something so maybe I'm looking at this wrong. It does bring up questions though. Like, does the government even allow people to file their tithes as charitable giving? What would be the purpose of claiming one's donations? In light of the Bible, would or could that be seen as someone putting more importance on money, a temporary possession they will one day no longer have, over the Gospel, the eternal prize? Most importantly, how does God view this topic?
Personally, I've decided not to do anything the statement. For various reasons, I don't feel right about claiming or seeking a return of monies, if in fact that's what it is. It doesn't seem right to ask the government to go easy on me because I gave. To me, that negates the sacrificiality (pretty sure that's not a real word, but whatev) of giving. But, why do I feel that way? I can't think of anything in the Bible that specifically addresses this topic, but, if my perception on the topic is correct, it still rubs me the wrong way. And I do know of several Bible verses that speak of the pitfalls of caring too much about money.
This isn't to say I think those people who claim their donations aren't good Christians or good people. It's just different than what I do. And that intrigues me. I would love to have the opportunity to discuss with someone our differing opinions on this issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment