Sunday, March 1, 2009

This taxes thing really has me all...I don't know...questioning. I had the chance to talk with a couple of friends about it. Both said they've never given enough for it to really make a difference when filing taxes, but they do claim their tithes. When questioned further, one friend was taught that claiming their donations and possibly getting money back was an earthly reward for obeying God. The other didn't really say much, but somewhat agreed with what the first said. Logically speaking, I can understand that teaching, but Biblically I don't see any basis in which to teach that. And it's from that standpoint from where I want to solve this.

Despite not feeling as if I'm any closer to an answer, God has used this as an opportunity to show me areas of pride in my life. To be convicted of sin so that I may become more like Him is definitely a good thing, but not necessarily fun or easy. God showed me where even in my not talking about my donations to others, I took an inordinate amount of pride in seeing what I gave each year. It's one thing to be excited to see how you've been blessed and have been able to bless others, but it's a completely different to look at it as if you've done something yourself...which is how I acted. My attitude embarrasses me, but it has also brought me to repentance.

So, I don't have an answer. I've not really prayed and sought God's voice on this issue as much as I'd have liked, but I'm okay with that. That's not to say I won't continue to pray about it, but I've come to a decision that I'm content with. Maybe God will change my heart on this. Or maybe someone will be able to explain their reasoning in a way that would get me to change. I dunno. But I'm okay with where I stand on the issue. Because if nothing else this journey brought me to repentance...and there's nowhere I'd rather be than at the foot of the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment